Writing an Army Letter of Recommendation can change the trajectory of someone’s career. It is a sign of trust if you’ve been asked to write this critical endorsement. We recommend using an Army Letter of Recommendation template to ensure you provide a professional and effective letter that highlights their qualifications, skills, and achievements to potential employers or military selection boards. Using a template can help you organize your thoughts and ideas and ensure you follow the correct format and tone for the letter. It can also save time and effort and increase the chances of the letter being considered favorably.
What Is an Army Letter of Recommendation?
An Army Letter of Recommendation is a document typically written by a senior officer or noncommissioned officer (NCO) to endorse a junior soldier or officer or an individual seeking to enter the military. It aims to provide additional information about the character, skills, and abilities of the individual in question. It is often used to support an application for a promotion, a transfer, or other career-related opportunities. The letter’s contents describe the individual’s experience, potential, work ethic, and other relevant attributes. The letter can be essential in determining whether the individual is accepted.
Fun Fact: Albert Einstein wrote an Army Letter of Recommendation in 1939 for Robert Thornton, who was applying for officer training in the US Army. Einstein’s letter described Thornton as a “man of fine character” and praised his intelligence, education, and leadership potential. Einstein’s recommendation helped Thornton secure a position as a second lieutenant in the US Army.
Purpose and Importance of Army Letter of Recommendation
The Army Letter of Recommendation (LOR) is a formal written communication used by military personnel to recommend an individual for a particular position or recognition within the military. An Army LOR’s primary purpose is to objectively evaluate an individual’s character, leadership ability, and potential for success in a given role. Here are more details about the purpose and importance of an Army Letter of Recommendation:
- Career Advancement: An Army LOR is an essential tool for career advancement within the military. It can help an individual gain promotion, increase their rank, and open up new opportunities for career growth within the military.
- Military Schools and Training: Army LOR is a requirement for many military schools and training programs. It helps selection boards to identify the most qualified candidates based on their accomplishments, character, and leadership potential.
- Awards and Recognition: An Army LOR can help individuals earn various awards for outstanding service, leadership, and accomplishments. It can be used to support nominations for awards, medals, and other forms of recognition within the military.
- Character Assessment: An Army LOR provides a character assessment of an individual based on their conduct, work ethic, and leadership potential. It can help the selection board to identify individuals with the best character traits needed for specific positions.
- Evaluations: An Army LOR can be used for performance evaluations, which are essential for assessing an individual’s performance and potential for future assignments.
- Personal Development: An Army LOR can provide valuable feedback for personal development. It helps individuals identify their strengths and areas for improvement, which can enhance their skills and leadership potential.
How to Write an Army Letter of Recommendation
Writing an Army Letter of Recommendation can be a significant responsibility, as it can have a major impact on someone’s career in the military. Remember to maintain a professional tone throughout the letter and avoid overly emotional language. Here are the steps to follow when writing an Army Letter of Recommendation:
- Start with a professional greeting: Address the letter to the appropriate person or organization. Use a standard formal salutation such as “To Whom It May Concern” or “Dear Sir/Madam.”
- State your relationship: Begin the letter by stating your relationship with the person you are endorsing. This could include your rank, position, and how you know the individual.
- Highlight the individual’s qualifications: In the next section, highlight the qualifications that make them an ideal candidate.
- Include specific examples: Provide specific examples of the individual’s performance, accomplishments, and strengths. Use concrete examples to illustrate your points and demonstrate the individual’s ability to perform in various situations.
- Discuss their growth potential: Discuss the individual’s potential for growth and how they could benefit the Army in the future. Include qualities such as leadership abilities, teamwork, and willingness to take on new challenges.
- Offer a conclusion: In the concluding paragraph, summarize your recommendation and offer your endorsement. Reiterate why the individual would be an excellent addition to the Army.
- Contact information: Include your contact information at the end of the letter in case the recipient has any questions or would like to follow up with you.
- Proofread and Edit: Before sending the letter, proofread and edit it to ensure it is free of errors and flows logically.
Pro Tip: Verify the recipient should be and ensure you send this letter through the proper channels so they receive it on time, or the letter likely won’t be accepted and considered.
Sample Army Letter of Recommendation
[City, State, Zip Code]
[City, State, Zip Code]
Subject: Letter of Recommendation for [Candidate’s Full Name]
Dear [Recipient’s Rank and Last Name],
I am writing to wholeheartedly recommend [Candidate’s Full Name] for [purpose of recommendation, e.g. promotion, special assignment, or award]. I have had the privilege of working closely with [Candidate’s First Name] for [duration of time] in my capacity as [Your Position]. During this time, I have observed [his/her/their] exceptional work ethic, leadership skills, and dedication to duty. [Candidate’s First Name] has consistently demonstrated the qualities that the United States Army values most in its soldiers, making [him/her/them] an ideal candidate for [purpose of recommendation].
[Optional paragraph: Describe the candidate’s specific achievements, projects, or responsibilities, as well as any commendations, awards, or recognition they have received. Be as specific as possible, providing concrete examples of how the candidate has excelled in their role.]
[Example paragraph: In [his/her/their] role as a Platoon Sergeant, [Candidate’s First Name] has displayed an unwavering commitment to the well-being and professional development of [his/her/their] soldiers. [He/She/They] took on the responsibility of mentoring and guiding [number] soldiers under [his/her/their] command, resulting in a marked improvement in the platoon’s overall readiness and performance. [Candidate’s First Name] also played a pivotal role in the planning and execution of [specific training exercise or operation], which was hailed as a resounding success by both the chain of command and fellow soldiers.]
[Optional paragraph: Discuss the candidate’s character and personal qualities, such as integrity, loyalty, and teamwork, and explain how these traits have contributed to their success in the Army.]
[Example paragraph: Beyond [Candidate’s First Name]’s outstanding professional accomplishments, I have been particularly impressed by [his/her/their] character and commitment to the Army’s core values. [He/She/They] consistently displays a high level of integrity, treating all soldiers with respect and taking responsibility for [his/her/their] actions. [His/Her/Their] loyalty to the unit and dedication to the mission have earned [him/her/them] the admiration and trust of both peers and superiors alike.]
I wholeheartedly endorse [Candidate’s Full Name] for [purpose of recommendation]. I am confident that [he/she/they] will continue to excel in [his/her/their] military career and make a significant positive impact on the United States Army. Should you have any further questions or require additional information, please do not hesitate to contact me.
An Army Letter of Recommendation is usually written by a senior officer or noncommissioned officer (NCO) who has direct experience working with the individual being recommended. The writer should be someone in a position of authority and can provide a thorough and credible assessment of the person’s skills, abilities, and character. However, depending on the circumstances, an Army Letter of Recommendation could also be written by a civilian familiar with the individual’s background and qualifications, such as a former employer or teacher.
The number of Army Letters of Recommendation required for a successful application can vary depending on the specific application and circumstances. Some applications may require only one letter, while others require multiple letters from different sources. It is essential to carefully review the application instructions and requirements to determine how many letters are needed and to ensure they are written by individuals who can provide a credible assessment of the applicant’s skills, abilities, and character.
they are typically confidential and intended for use by those in positions of authority. Allowing individuals to view their letters could compromise confidentiality and reflect poorly on the individual. Feedback or insights on the overall tone of the recommendation letter may be obtained from a recruiting officer or human resources department.
An Army Letter of Recommendation is used to recommend individuals for various Army programs and opportunities, such as promotions, awards, and special assignments. It is essential because it provides an assessment of the individual’s skills, abilities, and character traits, which can be critical in determining their suitability for the position or opportunity in question. The letter may be written by a superior officer, colleague, or mentor with firsthand knowledge of the individual’s performance and qualifications. A strong Army Letter of Recommendation can enhance an individual’s chances of being selected for a desired program or opportunity, as it shows evidence of their competence, professionalism, and leadership potential. Using a professionally formatted template can help you quickly and easily craft a high-quality endorsement.