Everyone enjoys feeling beautiful, and having full, lush eyelashes can significantly boost your clients’ self-esteem. Still, before they get an eyelash extension, they must sign a very important document. A Lash Tech Consent Form is a legal agreement between a lash technician and a business, such as a modeling agency or individual client. This document helps ensure that all parties involved in the service understand the expectations, risks, and responsibilities. Without this form, clients may not be aware of any potential hazards or side effects associated with lash treatments, which could cause both parties to face serious repercussions. Additionally, the document can help protect the business from legal liabilities. Choosing a professionally designed template to create your Lash Tech Consent Form saves time and helps ensure you get all the correct information on your contract.
What Is a Lash Tech Consent Form?
A Lash Tech Consent Form is a document that clients must sign before they receive a lash extension service. The form is a legally binding document that ensures that clients are aware of the potential risks and can make an informed decision about whether or not to proceed with the treatment. It asks relevant health questions, creates assent statements for the client to sign, outlines the risks associated with false eyelash extensions, including potential allergic reactions and infections, and details any additional terms of the service being provided. It may also include information about the types of eyelash extensions available and their associated care instructions.
Fun Fact: Eyelash extensions are not a new practice. In fact, the first patent for artificial eyelashes was issued to a Canadian inventor named Anna Taylor in 1911, making this process over a hundred years old.
Why is Lash Tech Consent Form Important?
Lash Tech Consent Forms are important because they protect the client and the business. Here are some of the reasons why you need this vital document signed before each treatment:
- Although not always required by law, these legally binding contracts protect the technician and business from legal repercussions.
- They inform clients of the risks.
- They ask vital health and beauty-product-related questions that can help prevent adverse reactions.
- They provide specific aftercare instructions.
- They respect the client’s right to bodily autonomy.
- Finally, these documents are a part of the necessary everyday recordkeeping process for the business.
Essential Elements of Lash Tech Consent Form
The essential elements of a Lash Tech Consent Form are easy to understand. They break down into a few basic categories like consent statements, aftercare instructions, and questions about health and beauty. Below we’ve created a list to explain each facet of the document and why it’s needed.
- Business Name or Logo- Adding this creates brand continuity and makes your document look more professional.
- Form Title- The title is “Lash Tech Consent Form.” Remember to use a large, bold print for this element.
- (Optional) Service Description- Briefly describe a lash extension and how it works.
- (Optional) Extension Options- If you offer multiple styles and materials, create a checklist so the client can indicate which lash extensions they want.
- Assent and Understanding Statements- The assent and understanding statements detail the client’s agreements and show they understand the risks and benefits of the requested service.
- Medical and Beauty Product Use Disclosures- Ask the client about relevant (contraindicated) health conditions, medications, and any products they use on their face.
- Aftercare Requirements and Consent- Instruct the client on how to care for their lash extensions and have them check or initial their agreement to follow these rules.
- Duration and Consent Statement- Add a statement that shows how long the form is valid, stating the client is over 18, that they understand the terms outlined on the page, and consent to the treatment. Consider adding wording to indicate that they have read and understood the form completely.
- Client Signature, Contact Information, and Date Lines- After reviewing the document and answering any questions or concerns, allow the client to sign, date, and include a phone number and email in case you need to contact them in the future.
- Lash Tech Signature, Contact Information, and Date Lines- Finally, the Lash Tech signs, dates, and adds their contact information at the bottom of the form.
Pro Tip: Having the Lash Tech sign the form is especially important for large businesses where more than one staff member offers this type of treatment. Doing this ensures there is no confusion about who worked on which client.
Tips for Creating a Lash Tech Consent Form Template
Creating your lash tech consent form template is relatively straightforward. Download the template, open it in MS Word or a similar writing program, and insert the necessary details. To help you maximize your time and effort, we’ve created a list of tips and tricks for you while you’re making this crucial document. Feel free to bookmark this page.
- Concise Explanations- Avoid overly wordy passages and personal opinions. Keep it short and to the point.
- Language- Do not expect clients to understand industry-specific terms or complicated words. Instead, opt for simple terms and explanations. You may even want to prepare some visual aids to help with answering questions and explaining the process.
- Complete- Ensure you have all the relevant information included, and always double-check that your client has filled out every part of the form before accepting it.
- Customization- A template offers structure and a recognizable format for your document, but they are highly customizable. This can benefit you in the future as standards and laws regarding this service change, and the form requires updating. Moreover, it makes it simple to create a personalized document that reflects your business and clientele.
- Easy to Read- Choose simple fonts that don’t strain the eye or leave room for interpretation. You can also go up a size or two to help clients who struggle with reading the fine print.
- Provide Instructions- Go into detail when providing aftercare instructions. For example, when telling clients not to get their extensions wet, recommend using a damp washcloth on their face and avoiding showers or rain.
- Additional Details- You can opt to include information about comfort and the duration of the service or how to make follow-up appointments if you want a more comprehensive document.
- When to Refuse Service- If the client cannot understand the form, refuses to sign, or doesn’t want to read what they are agreeing to, you should refuse them service because they cannot or will not make an informed decision. Likewise, if they are under the influence of drugs or alcohol, have a sunburn or skin damage in the application area, or have any contraindicated conditions or medications, it’s best to politely deny them service and recommend they discuss future lash extension options with a dermatologist. Doing this helps protect you and the business.
- Legal Details- If you are uncertain about your local laws, or want a professional to vet the language in this contract, take it to an attorney. You can also consult your licensing board for best practices.
- Review and Update- A high-quality Lash Tech Consent Form Template is reusable, customizable, and will last for many years. However, it is up to you to review the information on it periodically and make any necessary updates. Include any changes in the application process, options, materials, or legal requirements as soon as they occur.
Lash tech consent forms are vital for the client and the technician, so to help you use your template better, we’ve answered the most frequently asked questions about this topic. In this section, you can learn more about adverse reactions, how long to keep copies, and what to do when clients refuse to sign, among other vital information.
If a client refuses to sign the Lash Tech Consent Form Template, it is essential to explain the document’s purpose and why it is necessary for them to sign. Make sure to clarify that the document is for their own protection and that signing it will help ensure an enjoyable and safe experience. If, after this explanation, the client still refuses to sign, it may be best not to proceed with the lash service. Without a signed consent form, there is no legal agreement between you and the client, leaving you both open to potential legal issues should something go wrong during the lash service.
It is necessary to use a Lash Tech Consent Form for every lash extension procedure, but you don’t necessarily need to create a new document from your Lash Tech Consent Form Template each time since the same sheet can be printed and used many times. This form is designed to provide the client with all of the necessary information about the procedure, including potential risks, benefits, and expectations. However, if your form specifically states that it remains in effect until rescinded and applies to future removal or treatment, then you don’t need to collect a new document for every visit. It’s best to do this only with regular clients.
The length of time you should retain copies of the Lash Tech Consent Form Template will depend on the laws and regulations in your jurisdiction. Generally, it is recommended that you keep copies of the form for at least three years, but in many cases, you should hold on to them for seven as they also provide helpful information in case of a tax audit. Doing this will ensure that you have a record of the consent form in case it is needed for legal or regulatory purposes. Additionally, it’s wise to keep a copy of the document in case a client requests a copy of their consent form later.
If a client experiences adverse reactions to the lash extension procedure after signing a Lash Tech Consent Form, the lash technician should immediately contact the client and inform them of the situation. The technician should also provide medical advice and assistance to the client if necessary. Depending on the severity of the adverse reaction, the technician may need to refer the client to a medical professional for further evaluation and treatment. Sometimes, the technician may need to remove the lash extensions and provide a refund or credit to the client for any services rendered. The technician should also document all incident details in their records and report it to their insurance provider if applicable.
It is essential to explain the contents of the Lash Tech Consent Form Template to clients before they sign it. Doing this will ensure that clients understand what they are agreeing to and any potential risks associated with the treatment. The consent form should include information about the procedure, potential risks and benefits, and any other important information the client should know. Explaining this information to clients before they sign the form will help ensure they make an informed decision about their treatment.
The lash technician should be responsible for retaining copies of the Lash Tech Consent Form Template. The lash technician should keep copies of all forms that have been filled out and signed by clients for their records. You should always ensure that all of the important information stated in the document is kept for future reference and that the customer is clear on what they are agreeing to when they sign the form. Keeping copies of the contract also prevents disputes or misunderstandings between the lash technician and their clients. That said, it is a good idea for the salon or business to keep an additional copy for their records.
Before performing any lash services, you should provide clients with a copy of the completed and signed Lash Tech Consent Form Template. This document is an integral part of the lash extension process and should be explained to the client before starting the service to ensure that there is a clear understanding between both parties. The form contains information regarding the purpose, benefits, and risks of lash procedures, a waiver of liability, and an acknowledgment that proper aftercare techniques are being used. This form also allows clients to provide informed consent for the service, ensuring that all legal requirements are met and that clients are aware of what to expect from the treatment.
Using a pre-made lash tech consent form template is the quickest and most effective way to ensure you collect all the necessary information during a client appointment. With a pre-made template and the right information, you can be confident that all legal requirements and important details are included in the document. A pre-made template will save time and provide structure. It also helps eliminate the potential for human error when creating a customized consent form.
A Lash Tech Consent Form is a document used to gain a client’s consent before applying eyelash extensions. It outlines the procedure, the risks and potential side effects, and any aftercare instructions. The form should also include the client’s name, address, phone number, and signature. This document is vital for protecting both the lash tech and their client from any liability issues that may arise from the application of eyelash extensions. By signing a Lash Tech Consent Form, the client consents to participate in the procedure, perform proper aftercare, and provide complete and accurate health and beauty product use information. Using a Lash Tech Consent Form Template can help you quickly create a high-quality contract and record for your business.