Contents of the Template
- Tenant Information: Space for your full name, address, contact information, and date.
- Landlord Information: Designated areas to input your landlord’s name and address.
- Subject Line: A clear and straightforward subject to immediately inform the recipient of the letter’s purpose.
- Detailed Request: A formally written request for the allowance of a service dog, citing relevant legislation.
- Service Dog Information Table: Organized sections for your service dog’s name, breed, weight, age, and certification/training details.
- Description of Assistance Provided: Space for detailing the specific tasks performed by the service dog that relate to your disability.
- Attachments Section: A section to list additional documents you are including, such as a medical professional’s verification letter.
- Legal and Respectful Language: The template uses clear and respectful language to articulate the request based on your legal rights.
Why Use This Template
- Saves Time: It’s structured and easy to use, reducing the time you spend drafting a letter from scratch.
- Legally Informed: The template refers to relevant legislation, helping to make your request authoritative and in line with the law.
- Professional Tone: The template maintains a respectful and professional tone, which is important when communicating with your landlord.
- Customizable Formats: Available in Word and Google Docs, allowing you to choose the format that suits you best.
- New Tenants: Those preparing to move into a new rental property and need to inform their future landlord about their service dog.
- Current Tenants with a New Service Dog: Individuals who have recently acquired a service dog and must notify their landlord of this change.
- Tenants Facing ‘No Pets’ Policies: Tenants living in a property with a ‘no pets’ policy, but who require a service dog due to a disability.
- Advocates or Legal Representatives: Professionals helping a client to draft a letter to their landlord regarding the accommodation of a service dog.